Following a long distinguished association with the Broward County Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, several members of the Sorority decided it was time for the formation of a chapter in North Broward County. The rapidly expanding area with its diverse population and growing number of current needs became the impetus to the forward movement of plans to form a Pompano Beach Alumnae Chapter.
The Pompano Beach Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta was chartered on April 16, 1994. The Sorority provides enhancement and educational services to cities north of Commercial Boulevard and south of the Palm Beach County line, stretching west to the Florida Everglades and east to the Atlantic Ocean.
Since it's inception, the Pompano Beach Alumnae Chapter has focused on our mission of Sisterhood, Scholarship, and Public Service, and like all Delta chapters is required to provide programs in each of the Sorority's Five Point Programmatic Thrust. This emphasis has led us to sponsor the following programs and projects, among many others:
- Voter registration drives
- DSTea (Raises money for the breast cancer research)
- Relay for Life
- Diabetes Walk
- Nursing home visitations and donations
- Thanksgiving basket donations
- Delta Days at the Capital
- 100 Celebrity Men Who Cook (in support of the United Negro College Fund)
- Jabberwock Debutante Cotillion
- May Week (recognition of high achieving minority students and the awarding of scholarships)
- The Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy for middle school girls
- The Delta GEMS program for high school girls
- EMBODI for young men in high school